Tuesday, April 3, 2012

OBSTACLES IN THE PATH

Canon EOS Rebel XS, Promaster 19-35 lens @ 22mm, ISO 100, f/20, 6 seconds  
  Monday, April 2nd, was my 46th birthday. For my birthday I took the day off of work and joined my photog friend Tim Owens and my daughter Jocy on a trek to Grotto Falls in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
  The Grotto Falls Trail is about a 1 1/2 miles on the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail and winds 1.4 miles up the mountain. It is actually one section of the Trillium Gap Trail which continues on further and ends up at Mount LeConte. The trail is a gradual uphill climb that is easy as backpackers are considered and a very well traveled trail.
  There are several neat things to view and photograph on the way up. The first thing you have to have to walk over and continue to walk over the entire trip up are tree roots that look as though they are hovering just on top of the ground like spooky fingers.
  We stopped to take a break when we turned a corner and saw this great long curvy straight away in front of us. Tim and I just had to set up and take some shots. I was intent on using these roots as a foreground element so I spread out the tripod and got the gear as low to the ground as I could. With this low angle it looks as though the roots are reaching at my camera almost like a scary warning to stop our ascent.
  There are going to be a few more from Grotto Falls and the hike up and down in the next few days.

2 comments:

  1. What an incredible shot! Love the natural shapes and lines that the roots create here! Isn't Mother Nature wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy you're not kidding. Thanks for coming by and commenting Toad. Always love your input my friend.

    ReplyDelete