Thursday, January 13, 2011

PASSING THE TEST


Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XS, Tamron 28-80 lens @ 28mm, ISO 400, f/16, 5 sec.
  In my last post, PINEY SNOW REFLECTION, I explained how the first test that the hip waders my wife got me for Christmas was to trudge through 7" of snow and keep my digits warm and dry and that they passed with flying colors.
  Well, this evening, I put them through the REAL test.
  The snow that fell on us on Monday has been hanging around all week. As a matter of fact, the sun peeked out today but because the high was only in the mid 20's, very little of the snow has melted away.  This is a good thing as far as I am concerned.  The entire week I have been absolutely going crazy wanting to find a small stream with snow on the banks to photograph but with the roads being awful, my wife was very leery of me driving to my normal river spots.  Yesterday I went back to work and had to get home right after because the family wanted to go out for dinner.
  So today I was determined to go after work and get my shots. I get off of work at 5 so I only had about an hour to work with. I had talked with a couple of cohorts at work that cued me to a place very close to work. I left just after 5 and when I arrived at their suggested location, I was very happy. The stream was full and the snow still covered the banks.
  Here is the test for my waders. I slipped them on and waded out into the stream under a bridge the road ran over. The middle of the stream was roughly halfway up to my knees and rolling pretty along pretty good.  I found a rock conveniently located dead center of the stream and sat down with my feet dangling in the water while I snapped shots.
  Lets just say, my back side got more cold on a dry rock than my toes did in the water. The waders were outstanding.
  I know it seems like I'm making a big deal out something working like it's supposed to.  I guess I am just incredibly excited about what I can accomplish with my photography by being able to get in the center of these streams and up close to waterfalls in the springtime when the water is chilly but the scenery is beautiful.
  Anyway here is my favorite of the shots I took this evening. Hope you like it.

6 comments:

  1. You should be excited! Great shot! Glad for you and your waders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jimbo. You should see me with my hat and waders on. You would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic. I love the motion in the water and snow covered trees in the background

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jesse. Sorry about the setting errors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shot Jerry! I love the motion of the water. Did you use a ND filter?- John Sotiriou

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks John. No, I didn't use an ND filter. It was at dusk and I was under a bridge so there was minimal light available.

    ReplyDelete