Wednesday, January 19, 2011

HIDDEN TREASURE

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XS, Tamron 28-80 lens @ 28mm, ISO 100, f/13/ 10 sec.
  Most of my spring through fall months were spent on River Road in the Cherokee National Forest.  This road splits off of the Cherohala Skyway and winds along with the Tellico River for several miles. Most of my time on the road was spent photographing Bald River Falls, Baby Falls, and endless cascades on this very fast moving river.
  In November, I wanted a change of pace.  I was in search of  a smaller stream that I could maneuver around to photograph the fall foliage.
  One of my cohorts at work and a fellow photographer pointed me in the direction of North River Road.  This road splits off of River Road about 3 miles past Bald River Falls and winds back over to the Skyway by Stratton Meadows. My cohort said the stream it follows is not as large and my suit my needs.
  Well, I decided to give it a look-see and about a 1/4 mile down this road I passed an incredible sight. 
  There was a massive rock wall that stood 8-10 feet above the water level.  The river ran around the side of the rock wall opposite the road and rejoined the water flow.  In the center of the wall it formed a V shape with a single stream of water pouring through like a water faucet. It was gorgeous!

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XS, Tamron 28-80 lens @ 28 mm, ISO 100, f/9.0, 2 sec.

  I immediately found a stopping point and worked my way down to the water's edge and started shooting (wishing I had a pair of waders to venture into the water). I took photos from several different angles and really couldn't find a bad one.

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XS, Tamron 28-80 lens @ 41mm, ISO 100, f/16, 2.5sec.
  When I looked on the other side of the wall, I noticed a beautiful set of little stepladder cascades that lead up to the wall.  This place was a hidden treasure. Unfortunately, I was about 2 weeks late of the colorful foliage in this area. This just means that I will make it a point to re-visit this spot in the spring and when the colors are right next fall.
  On a side note to this hidden treasure: I posted these shots on Facebook back in November.  When my brother Jim commented on them, he was joined by his son, Sam. Sam looked at the shot at the beginning of the post and commented, "the picture is nice, but is that a shark or a whale under that grass?" He was obviously referring to the fin-shaped rock in the picture. It was priceless. I will never be able to look at this pic and not remember that question.
  It was a whale, BTW.

No comments:

Post a Comment