Sunday, January 23, 2011

DOWNTOWN SAN ANTONIO

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XS, Tamron 28-80 lens @28mm, ISO 100, f/22, 90sec.
  When I saw that I was going to be traveling San Antonio, TX for a conference I immediately started thinking of what photos I could take when arriving.  The Riverwalk, The Alamo, the other Spanish Missions.  There was a lot to choose from.
  One of the things I noticed was the Tower of The Americas. This is a 750 ft tower in Hemisfair Park that has a restaurant and observation deck. Since I bought my DSLR I have yet to be able to take a cityscape so this was definitely a must.
  I wouldn't say that I am scared of heights, but any elevator that goes that high and and has a glass front so you can see out really gives me the willies.  Don't know why, they just do.  Once I got to the observation deck though, calm was restored.
  I snapped off several shots but noticed that the Plexiglas that was in front of me was creating a very noticeable reflection of my tripod in the shot. There were some strong winds that provided another obstacle for shooting longer exposures.
  Towing my backpack to the center of the tripod and the sun going down after about an hour allowed me to achieve the shot you see posted.  Would have loved to have had more traffic running through the shot but you can't have everything.

2 comments: